Pages

Saturday, June 01, 2013

Notre Dame quilt top tutorial

A special welcome to anyone who is here from Craftsy! This quilt was a gift for my son-in-law and since I posted it, there have been a few requests for a tutorial. Because I didn’t take any notes during the construction, this will be a simple summary.  Take your best guess on fabric requirements! Before we get started and to honor copyright, I won’t be sharing or selling a pattern for this quilt or the logo. I will share my process, which can be used for just about any quilt of this type.  Okay, here we go!

notre dame

In addition to the fabric and general sewing supplies you will also need a paper backed fusible for the logo appliqué.  My preference is Wonder Under because it’s lightweight and doesn’t add any bulk.

You will also need a stabilizer for the back of your appliqué piece.

Let’s start with the center logo:

Find an image online or from another source to enlarge.  I searched Google for “Notre Dame logo” and then chose “images”. 

 

image

 

Save the image to your computer and enlarge it in your preferred photo editor. In Microsoft Paint I was able to use a fill tool to whiten everything but the outline for a little printer ink savings. Something like this:NotreDame

At this point, I’ll direct you to this tutorial for printing from Paint to multiple pages. Play around with it to get the appropriate size or use whatever method works for you.  I think mine was 24 inches across. Print, tape the pages together and cut out the pattern.

Cut a piece of fabric big enough for the logo and apply the fusible to the back of it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  REVERSE the pattern you made, trace around it onto the paper side of the fusible. You can also lay your pattern face up and put the fused fabric piece on top of it face up. Then flip the whole thing over to trace. Just make sure it’s going to be right when you cut it out!

Remove the paper packing and carefully position the logo on the background fabric. When you’re happy with the placement, fuse it down. Place the stabilizer under the piece and use your favorite method of stitching to cover the edges of your logo. I used a fairly tight machine blanket stitch. When you’ve finished stitching, cut or tear away the excess stabilizer.

Add a border to this center piece referring to my photo. I believe mine was cut 2.5 inches wide.

For the letters I drew a diagram like this for each one:

piecedletter

I used strips of fabric 2 inches wide for the letter color (if I remember correctly) and the background pieces are whatever size needed to fill it in.

The sewing order is alphabetical…sew A to B, add C, D and E. Trim this block to the appropriate size. Add piece F and trim again. Piece G is the space between letters and you’ll need to determine the width for your layout.

Here’s the rough layout that shows the basic shapes of the pieces. Make them smaller or larger to customize. This includes a border of about 3 inches. 

 

Notre Dame layoutnotre dame

That’s about it! If I left some vital part out or if anything is unclear, feel free to leave a comment or send an email and I’ll try to help.

Thanks for stopping by!

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Fun project! My sister is a Fighting Irish alumni, so I bet she would love to have a quilt like this.

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!