Pages

Friday, June 08, 2012

Odds and ends

Do you use Color Catchers?

Color Catcher In-Wash Sheets

I don’t pre-wash fabrics when making quilts, so I like to have a way to protect from bleeding dyes when I wash them, at least for the first time. I washed these separately and threw a Color Catcher sheet in with each one.

blockapaloozafinishaH2H2012

The one on the left looks pretty much as it did before washing, but the right one collected quite a bit of dye.

colorcatchers

Did you guess which one was from which quilt? Not too surprising that the red was the bleeder.

colorcatchers2

I also use Color Catchers when washing my hand dyed fabrics for the first time, too. Great product!

We arrived back in Tennessee from South Dakota late Sunday night. (I’m still worn out!) Usually we load up, put the pedal down and don’t stop except for the necessary things, but this time we decided to take a loop through the Badlands. See the one highlighted in blue? Badlands Map

Here’s a larger map to show where it is in the state. (The area we are moving to is north of Rapid City.)

MAP OF SOUTH DAKOTA - CLICK NOW FOR SOUTH DAKOTA CITY MAPS

The sky was so brilliantly blue that day…amazing!

badlands3

badlands2

badlands

I’d love to be there at sunset to capture some of the colors in a different light. Might be a nice day trip once we get moved.

My stash is packed, but my quilting fabrics and some other supplies aren’t going anywhere until I do! I consider them to be survival supplies…right up there with food and coffee.

stash2

Have a wonderful weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I love those color catchers. They work so well. I've yet to have a quilt dye run with those I wish you well on your move. I hope yours goes well like ours did. I'm laughing about you having a survival pack. LOL!

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so exhausting to move. It is also hard to do without your fabric and machine during the entire process.
    It looks like you saw some beautiful sights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Color Catchers - keep them on hand all the time!! And quilting supplies are definitely survival supplies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowza, what an amazing trip! Your photos are so stunning. What an interesting area to explore. Kinda makes you realize what a unique world this is.

    I don't use Color Catchers, and I never prewash, and I've never had fabrics bleed. But I think I rarely sew with reds or purples or bright brights like that. So I'm going to take note of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried the Color Catchers sample that came in a box of something else and liked it, but I do prewash all fabrics. I think if I didn't, I'd definitely use them all the time.

    I really want to visit South Dakota some day. I've never seen Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, Custer State Park, the Black Hills, etc., but would love to. It's on my bucket list. So is the move happening soon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like you are moving soon?? that's a long distance too! Your photos are beautiful...i've been to the Dakota's recently and such lovely landscape. Thanks for the color catcher tip! Never tried them, but i will! :) safe travels...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live by color catchers and I do pre-wash. I should buy stock! I've never been to South Dakota. Gorgeous raw scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vicki, what an incredible road trip you had!
    Thanks for being a part of Blogtoberfest, hosted by Cathy aka {tinniegirl} last year. Thought you might be interested to know that we're running it again in 2012. You can find all the info at: http://isawyoudancing.blogspot.com.au/p/blogtoberfest-2012.html
    And we're kicking off this Monday! Would love to see you there.
    Kat xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some quilts demand color catchers. I use them on and off. But they are a good tool for reds especially.

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!