Pages

Saturday, May 05, 2012

A flimsy and easy-peasy block tutorial

The top for my H2H quilt is finished although I may add a border to make it a little bigger.

H2H sports

The blocks are super fast to put together! It’s basically a log cabin using two different size strips. All seam allowances are 1/4 inch and I pressed toward the strips.

A 5 inch square for the center, a 3 inch wide strip and a 2 inch wide strip.

offset block 1

Place the 3 inch strip rights sides together with the 5 inch square and sew together along one edge. I use the full length of the strip…

offset block 2

..and cut it off after I’ve sewn the seam. Now press flat to set the seam and then press the seam allowance toward the strip.

offset block 3

Trim the edges even with the center square.

offset block 4

First step complete!

offset block 5

Add another 3 inch strip as shown here.

offset block 6

Press and trim as you did for the first step.

offset block 7

Continuing in the same manner, add a 2 inch strip, press and trim.

offset block 8

Add the last 2 inch strip, press, trim and you’re finished!

offset block 9

The sashing is a 2.5 inch width of print with a 1.25 width of solid on either side. I chose to offset the rows so they didn’t line up on top of one another.

H2H sportsa

I’m linking to Sarah’s Whoop, Whoop Fridays post…lots of great ideas over there! Thanks, Sarah:)

Wish us luck with the paint sprayer today…we’re painting exterior doors! Let the fun begin!

3 comments:

  1. Very very cute, Vicki! Love this take on an I-spy quilt!!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool quilt! That sashing is the perfect print for these blocks. I haven't sewn a quilt block in months, so I appreciate your tutorial. I have been craving a sewing project... once my finals are over. Good luck with your door project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this quilt. Have been looking for one to make my sports lover stepson. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!