What do these houses..
have to do with this quilt?
You probably saw it right away.
First, a little background to help you follow me through this. Except for a couple of charity quilts, this is going to be the year of small projects for my quilting and other artsy/craftsy endeavors. So far, so good.
In addition, I really want to push myself creatively. I have no list to follow, but as long as my nose is out there sniffing around, I’ll follow that and see where it leads me.
Now, I’ve been a fan of Project Runway since the second season and have watched a lot of the episodes more than once. (I especially loved the season of Jeffrey, Uli, Michael and Laura!) I cannot imagine having to produce a wearable garment in such a short period of time. The drama and the pressure!
So, when Kim over at Kim’s Crafty Apple decided to start a Project Quilting two years ago, I watched and admired from a distance. People are so creative!
This year, I waited for the first Challenge to come up to decide if I was ready to tackle PQ. Architectural Elements was the theme and was posted January 8th. A photo of the finished project was to be posted on the Flickr page by noon on Sunday, January 15th. Saturday evening, a little seed of an idea sprouted in the mulch of my mind when I thought of the two houses we built in the ‘90s. (Photos above) We lived in the Black Hills and both houses have a lodge feel with the open floor plans and cathedral ceilings and …. trapezoid windows!
I slept on it and at 8 o’clock Sunday morning hit the sewing room. Out came the bin of hand dyed fabrics and I built two log cabin style trapezoids, added the black borders and sewed them together. To add some extra funkiness, I scattered some little trapezoid shapes around.
I made a sandwich, quilted in a spiral sort of pattern, trimmed it, added a fast binding and posted a photo at 11:54 a.m. Sunday morning. In the true spirit of Project Runway, I was finished as the models walked to the runway!
All in all, it’s a pretty decent finish. The quilting is not a flowing as I’d like it to be, but I can work on that. I usually finish all my bindings by hand, but I had to hustle, so I went with two rows of zigzag. Somehow, the wonkiness of it works with the rest of the quilt. At least I didn’t staple it!
The size is roughly 20 inches by 12 inches.
All the entries can be viewed at the Flickr page…so many great interpretations of the theme.
If you stuck with me through all that, you get a gold star. Or maybe you’d prefer a silver one. Personally, I always liked the blue ones best.
Love you all!