Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Blogtoberfest Day 28: Blogger’s Quilt Festival

It’s time for the Blogger’s Quilt Festival at Amy’s Creative Side!

image

Thanks for taking the time to stop for a minute! Out of the few quilts I’ve made this year, this is my favorite. It was made for the Hands2Help charity challenge and was delivered to Romania by Judi at Green Fairy Quilts.

H2H front

This was a swap challenge and my partner sent some lovely calicos to which I added the background fabric. I began with a commercial pattern that called for some 2 1/2 inch strips, but realized early on that it wasn’t working and used the strips to begin making flying geese. No plan in mind…just making geese! There were soon enough for borders but to continue with such small pieces would have been very fussy.

H2H fronta

In came the big geese blocks and the corners I trimmed off those became half square triangles for the other blocks. The addition of little borders made them the same size.

H2H back

A very simple back and a quilting meander completed it. My design process was totally backward for this project, but it worked and I love it!

Thanks to Amy and all the sponsors for letting us link up!

27 comments:

  1. Was this the quilt that taught you the no-waste flying geese method? Am I remembering it correctly? I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you chose to enter this quilt! It's my absolute favorite quilt this year of all I've seen!! And it was even prettier in person..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with all your calico half squares!!
    What a darling quilt!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! That's a FLOCK of geese! It's like they are flying in a snowy sky:) I really like the backing and love the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flying geese are so much fun!! Your quilt is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. .....and this is definitely my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really lovely quilt and love green fairy's romania help. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out great. Love the bit of detail on the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful quilt! I love to hear the story behind making it, and where this treasure ended up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely quilt! Love the 'just start and see what happens' approach. It really appeals to me. I'm sure it is now well loved by it's new owner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very, very pretty. It is exciting to see what comes out when there's no real plan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt! I love Flying Geese, and you have given them a new twist. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flying geese! It is my favorit pattern! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely quilt - Fly Geese with a twist, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt looks great. I love the different blocks you have used in the design. A lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in love with this quilt and have calicos to use from my mom's old stash that would fit this beautifully. Mind if I recreate my own version?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great quilt, Vicki! If you made this a pattern, I'd be in line to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great to see this beauty again! I smile when I see that great piece in the backing. Love it!-

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your design process might, as you say, be backwards on this quilt but it totally works, and came out wonderfully well! What a great use of flying geese--I love the variations of size, and the colours sparkle against the white ground!

    Hazle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, nice! The H2H quilts were amazing, but this was definitely one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is lots of fun. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great quilt and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful quilt...love the back...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sweet quilt! Such soft, yet cheerful colors:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!