Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tools

I love tools. Not just the wrench variety, but anything that makes a task easier to accomplish. One of my favorite tools is a dolly or hand truck. Even a weakling like me can moves things with a dolly.

 

image

These are tools I’ve been using a lot lately.

drywall tools

We’ve been plugging along at installing the new drywall in our kitchen and the last of it went up over the weekend. There were 5 ceiling pieces to put up and instead of renting a drywall jack or bribing a couple of muscular friends to lift it, Mr. DJ engineered this drywall jack.

hoist jack

hoist jack2

We just happen to have things like engine hoists laying around and with the addition of a hinge and some 2x4’s…there you have it! Mr. DJ built the engine hoist in his stock car racing days.

drywall finish

drywall finish 2

This gets us one step closer to getting those cabinets installed. I won’t know how to act when I don’t have to store things in totes.

Clamps are pretty useful things to have around.

clamp resist2I had dyed a fat quarter blue to try out a new color and wasn’t thrilled with it, so I stuck a few clamps on the folded fabric and over dyed it with yellow.

clamp resist (2)

Interesting! This technique is called itajime shibori.  Very intricate patterns can be achieved with this, but I don’t know how to do the fancy folding… yet.

pink and purple

The bias tape maker was the tool of the day. It’s been in the drawer for a while and I finally had a chance to try it. Very cool tool!

bias tape

Do you have a favorite tool?

7 comments:

  1. This may sound strange, but my favorite tool is a lathe. I haven't used one in over 30 years, but I love what you can do with a piece of wood when it is on a lathe. Next to that is my seam ripper. It saves my bacon nearly every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoop whoop!! That kitchen's looking pretty great!! And I think my favorite tool is my air compressor - a Mother's Day gift a few years ago! I can get into so much trouble with it...... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness I just adore every piece of fabric you hand dye! So beautiful! I love the uniqueness of each single piece and the variety you are dream ing.

    I can just imagine all the tools you have around your house, with all the remodeling you do. That dry wall jack looks serious! My favorite household tools are the clippers for our garden, the small hammer for hanging pictures, wall erasers for cleaning scuffs on the wall, my Bic pencil and kneaded eraser for drawing, and my seam allowance ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m with you on the dolly. I have a small one I keep in the trunk of my car that folds flat and will hold up to 120 lbs. I use it to tote my jewelry tool box back n' forth to classes. It's a back saver. I can relate to the living in totes, but when I look at our kitchen now it sure blurs those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have an informative blog. I’ve learned something from it. I do have mine too www.claire-fernandez.blogspot.com... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! We had to rent the drywall jack when we hung ours (in our garage in Alabama...) but wedon't have an engine jack either....I bought a dolly several years ago - Prince Charming says" Whad'ya waste your $$ on that for?" Do you KNOW how many times we've used that dolly? Uncountable times. He never mentions that I wasted my money....never.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never had such conveniences such as a hydraulic jack when we drywalled our garage. I love having MY OWN toolbox. My favorite tool is my level., Your kitchen is looking good.

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!