Pages

Friday, May 06, 2011

Dyeing fabric

Fabric dyeing has been a persistent little thought in the back of my mind for about a year, so I took the dive! I got this dye kit from Dharma Trading Company and some Prepared For Dyeing fabric from this Etsy shop.

image

The dye powder came in plastic bags, so I transferred it to more suitable containers.

dye powder

I used the tutorial from Candy for the dyeing process. She has a great website and blog, too. There are several other really good sites, but Candy’s was easiest for me to wrap my brain around.

Here are the mixed dyes.

dye mixed

Not knowing what to expect, I kept it to a minimum of pieces. There are two gradations of each of the three colors. I also mixed a purple, green and an orange/red/coral color.

dye tubs

Don’t you love the colors on the paper towel? Next time I’ll put a piece a fabric down to catch those drips.

dye paper towel

The fabric stayed in the tubs overnight and this morning I rinsed (lots of rinsing!) until it was ready to machine wash, dry and iron. 

dyed pieces

dyed fuchsia

dyed turquoise

dyed purple

dyed red coral

The results were pretty close to what I expected, although some of the pieces are a little blotchier than I wanted. Too much fun and the colors are spectacular!

I received my H2H fabrics from Megan. It’s been a long time since I’ve made anything with a calico type fabric, so this should be fun! I think I’ll choose a pattern from the book I won recently.

H2H

There’s a Whoop! Whoop! party over at Sarah’s and I’m linking this post!

8 comments:

  1. I love hand dyed fabric. I might have to do some experimenting this summer. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. I have done some fabric dying many years ago but would love to do some more. I'lm going to check out your links. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat fabrics! I'll be interested to see how much they run when you wash them - let me know, will you? I've had a few pieces donated that I haven't used yet. And I like your H2H fabrics! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool hand dyed fabric! Looks like you got some great results.

    I bet you find the perfect way to use those pretty fabrics in that book for your H2H quilt. I'm going to add that one to my Amazon wish list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabric dying I never tried, but it looks like you had a ball doing it!!

    Enjoy thumbing through that book---fun,fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to try dyeing my own fabric. Yours turned out beautifully! I love how vibrant each color looks, especially the variations on that purple. Well done learning this new skill! Now I'm inspired to try this over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the way your fabrics turned out. They are absolutely GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, this theee MOST exciting post!! I have wanted to dye fabric for sometime...and now, with seeing your post, it has given me the boost i need to try! thanks!

    hugZ,
    annie
    rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!