Pages

Saturday, April 02, 2011

Brown Bag finish..

just under the wire! The challenge was to trade 2 yards of “ugly” fabric with a partner and make a quilt using 90% of the fabric and adding whatever we wanted from our stash. We could purchase one fabric if needed. The deadline was April 1st at midnight. I submitted my photos just before 8 pm!

Tuesday evening

 Brown Bag Since I had very little time left to pull it together, I gave myself 30 minutes to come up with a design, deciding on a cross pattern. The fabric need a whole bunch of lightening and brightening, so I consulted the Color Scheme Designer for some assistance and dug into my stash.  I liked the two purples and used them for the bigger pieces and cut the other two into strips for the cross parts. There were many strips left, so they were sewn together to make a large square for the back. What remained of that process became the front border and the floating strips on the back. I purchased only the fabric for the binding which was within the guidelines for the challenge.

Photos in the dark Friday evening!

brown bag 4

brown bag 2

This shows the violet binding a little better.

brown bag 5

Making this quilt from start to finish in three days forced me to make quick decisions. Some I’m happy with and some not. Learning every day! The Challenge has a Flickr group with some really nice finishes. This one is amazing!

Click on over to Sarah’s blog to join the Whoop! Whoop! fun. Thanks, Sarah!

I quilted another quilt this week and will finish two more next week and have them ready for Whoop! Day if all goes well. I’m on a roll so I’d better keep rolling!

14 comments:

  1. oh, I really like yours! I didn't manage to get mine done in time. I think it is much harder when someone else picks out the fabric. It is lovely fabric but it doesn't speak to me and tell me what to make...now I sound totally insane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool! You did a wonderful job. I like the overall modern look with some more traditional fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good for you! What a great accomplishment. Your quilt turned out beautifully! I love reading about how you pulled it all together. You sure are on a roll - keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply amazing! I thought I did well to make a top in a week, much less finished. It's great, love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You started this Tuesday??? WOW!!!! Not sure if I could get the top done in that amount of time, I know I wouldn't be able to quilt it in that time, since I'm a hand quilter. I've only machine quilted in the ditch style so far. My FM is really bad, and I've had a few classes, too. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great, Vicki! I love your quilt - so modern and friendly!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how the lime makes things pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the green was an inspired addition to make the dark colors pop! I would have traded you brown bag sets in a heartbeat, but I suspect you liked your set better than my pastel flowers. Very nice job.

    - Mary, The Curious Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilts - yes using someone else's fabric choices does push you in new directions but is always very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I loove the back too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the comment about the free pieced letters on my roses!

    I really wanted to make something like yours, but the fabric did not lend itself to that. This actually looks great, I don't ususlly work in Pink!

    glen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your brown bag finish is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!