I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and weekend. There were only four of us for dinner, so it was pretty low key. I actually enjoyed cooking. That never happens! Mr. DJ and I spent the remainder of the weekend replacing the vanity and flooring in the main bathroom. I’m very happy with the results, but I’ll share that later when it’s completely finished.
The house we currently own is much smaller than the previous two, resulting in too much stuff in too little space. So I’ve spent the last few weeks doing some major clutter control. Between hauling loads to garbage and Goodwill, I made a big dent in the number of boxes, totes and stacks of things that we’ve accumulated over the past several years. After going through the huge storage shed, basement storage and closets I finally worked my way up to the sewing room. The house is a story and a half style, which means the sidewalls on the top floor are only 4 feet tall. It’s a challenge to arrange furniture and storage so it works efficiently!
I have a corner computer table that works well for a sewing/pressing/cutting space. I added a couple of pegboards to get the clutter off the table top. A big $13.00 investment for the board and hooks! It makes so much difference that I wonder what took me so long.
I recovered my pressing pad with part of a sheet and some quilt batting.
My big cutting table fits in another corner. There are no ceiling lights on this floor so I put up a florescent light. It’s a good solution, but I need to do something with the cord!
Sewing tools, thread, buttons, interfacing and batting scraps.
More miscellaneous supplies, trims and patterns. There’s another slim shelf on the opposite wall with jewelry making supplies.
My favorite part was sorting out the fabric. When mom passed away 10 years ago, I received all of her sewing things, including a lot of fabric scraps. I’ve gone through the boxes several times, finding a complete log cabin quilt top and several other blocks of various patterns. I knew I would never use all of those scraps, so I started sorting. I kept a smallish container full and will donate the rest. I made a big pile with the rest of my scraps and started sorting by color.
Here’s the inside of my newly organized fabric closet. The bigger pieces are folded on the top shelf with the scraps in clear containers below. I’m not brave enough to show you the ‘before’ picture. Trust me, it wasn’t pretty.
Solids are on this side with fabrics that are in collections on the bottom shelf.
My design wall and a bookcase are just around the corner in another section of the top floor.
While I was working on this project, I wasn’t able to sew much of anything, so I rewarded myself with a new mug rug when it was finished. I love to free piece letters!
The Christmas tree is going up tomorrow!