Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Sewing room makeover

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and weekend. There were only four of us for dinner, so it was pretty low key. I actually enjoyed cooking. That never happens! Mr. DJ and I spent the remainder of the weekend replacing the vanity and flooring in the main bathroom. I’m very happy with the results, but I’ll share that later when it’s completely finished.

The house we currently own is much smaller than the previous two, resulting in too much stuff in too little space. So I’ve spent the last few weeks doing some major clutter control. Between hauling loads to garbage and Goodwill, I made a big dent in the number of boxes, totes and stacks of things that we’ve accumulated over the past several years. After going through the huge storage shed, basement storage and closets I finally worked my way up to the sewing room. The house is a story and a half style, which means the sidewalls on the top floor are only 4 feet tall. It’s a challenge to arrange furniture and storage so it works efficiently!

I have a corner computer table that works well for a sewing/pressing/cutting space.sewing table 2 I added a couple of pegboards to get the clutter off the table top. A big $13.00 investment for the board and hooks! It makes so much difference that I wonder what took me so long.

pegboard 2 

pegboard

I recovered my pressing pad with part of a sheet and some quilt batting.

ironing pad 5

My big cutting table fits in another corner. There are no ceiling lights on this floor so I put up a florescent light. It’s a good solution, but I need to do something with the cord!

cutting table

Sewing tools, thread, buttons, interfacing and batting scraps.

storage

More miscellaneous supplies, trims and patterns. There’s another slim shelf on the opposite wall with jewelry making supplies.

storage 2

My favorite part was sorting out the fabric. When mom passed away 10 years ago, I received all of her sewing things, including a lot of fabric scraps. I’ve gone through the boxes several times, finding a complete log cabin quilt top and several other blocks of various patterns. I knew I would never use all of those scraps, so I started sorting. I kept a smallish container full and will donate the rest. I made a big pile with the rest of my scraps and started sorting by color.

scraps Here’s the inside of my newly organized fabric closet. The bigger pieces are folded on the top shelf with the scraps in clear containers below. I’m not brave enough to show you the ‘before’ picture. Trust me, it wasn’t pretty.

fabric storage

Solids are on this side with fabrics that are in collections on the bottom shelf.

fabric storage 2 I like to buy batting when it’s on sale and keep a few rolls on hand. The big totes hold what’s left of my non-quilting fabric and various other craft supplies

fabric storage 3

My design wall and a bookcase are just around the corner in another section of the top floor.

While I was working on this project, I wasn’t able to sew much of anything, so I rewarded myself with a new mug rug when it was finished. I love to free piece letters!

mug rug

The Christmas tree is going up tomorrow!

13 comments:

  1. Nice space, Vicki! Isn't it fun to work in a "new" area? I know I love mine - even though it isn't completely organized yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed you guys did this over the Thanksgiving weekend! And I'm so jealous of your fabulous space. Everything is so organized and within reach. Love those shelves and bins and those peg boards to get things off precious counter space.

    I adore your new mug rug - great letters and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great space! So nicely organized too. I love seeing other people's sewing/crafting spaces. Then I want them to come and do mine over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! I'm debating on putting up some pegboard for my space...

    Looks like you have a wonderful creative space going there...

    Doesn't it feel "lighter' after you de-stuff? I swear when the moving van left with my stuff, I felt 300 tons lighter and didn't care if it arrived in Ohio. It's just "stuff"

    Have fun playing in your new space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your space looks great ! Will you come and sort mine now ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job on the makeover! I have the low slope on one side of my space too.

    Love the mug rug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so organized and pretty...Great Job!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your space very organized.

    I found your blog throught the Modern Quilt Guild of Middle TN. My question is are meetings only in the Franklin area? I couldn't find any info on the site & that is why I am coming to you with questions. If you can redirect me I would appreciate it.

    Thank You,
    Pamela Adams
    Pamela.Adams62@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Vicky! What a lovely post with your wonderful working space - it really welcomes to create! You have so much lovely fabrics!
    Sunny wishes from Crete Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I need to invest in some peg boards. What a great idea! Love your new mug rug!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your peg board idea. Your sewing room looks wonderful. Thanks for all the ideas. I will be moving into my new sewing room soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have got a very nice sewing room. I am sure you will get a lot of inspiration and create great work there.
    I am visiting you from the Holly Jolly Blog Bingo site, saying hello from Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Your sewing room looks so organized - you will be able to accomplish so much now with all this order from the chaos!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!