Pages

Thursday, October 07, 2010

Free Motion Quilt Along and a life lesson

Apparently I had a little setback on attitude yesterday. I wasn’t in the right mindset to work on this, but I was falling behind on my FMQ project, so I tried to play catch up. I don’t sketch well and even my simplest doodling is pretty sad, so I skipped that step and jumped right in. Bad idea.

Lines and angles. Not too bad so far.

free motion angles

I discovered that I can’t treat this like stippling. I need a plan before I dive in!

free motion lines and angles  I should have quit while I still had a glimmer of hope to make something decent of this.

free motion block lines

The pebbles weren’t quite as bad. Curved lines are easier than straight lines for me.

pebbles 

It’s pretty much a big mess, but there it is. Every time I look at it, I will be reminded to get my attitude straight before I start something. Life lesson! Feel free to borrow it if you need it:)

I just realized that I skipped the loops part completely. Next time!

You would never know from this example that I’m thoroughly enjoying this process! It’s certainly a challenge and so fun to see everyone’s progress in the Flickr group.

10 comments:

  1. I love your new header! And I think your free motion practice looks cool! Very organic, an idea I read on Randi's blog (i have to say) today. Those pebbles are cool too. As our parents and teachers used to always preach, practice makes perfect, right?! I have to keep reminding myself that when I'm struggling with something. Just imagine if you had one of those designs on one quilt - that would look cool. Keep on keeping on Vicki.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm behind in my FMQ too. I love your pebbles--they look very nice. Sketching really does help. I need a plan even with stippling or my brain and hands all go haywire and it looks bad. lol We just need to keep at it. Love the paws on the practice piece--cute material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go catching up! Your pebbling looks great! I have a harder time with curves, specifically going over the same curve twice (or following a line, for that matter). I'm hoping it'll come eventually.

    I don't think I could attempt to FMQ without sketching the stuff first. I need to imprint the motion in my brain and get the hand-eye coordination working or I'm doomed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're doing well. It just takes practice... lotsa practice. Did your slider come in? Don't you love it???

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your pebbles are great! I soooo want to learn how to do them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must digg your post therefore other folks can see it, very useful, I had a tough time finding the results searching on the web, thanks.

    - Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my message if you do!

    I would appreciate if someone here at dottyjanedesigns.blogspot.com could post it.

    Thanks,
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  9. Machine quilting is something I struggle with. I have my things I am ok with but I can't break out of my shell. But if I don't try - I never will. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you are doing a great job FMQ. Everyone has a beginning. I have free motioned for a long time and I still practice and I always have my practice pencil pad nearby. I don't like to do straight lines either. Curved lines you can hide your mistakes. One thing in FMQ there are no rules on what designs you pick to do :) Your pebbles are perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!