Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summertime

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m just not a summer girl.  Depending on the humidity, I really don’t want to be outside if the temperature is much over 80 degrees. When we lived in western South Dakota I enjoyed flower gardening and a grew a few vegetables. (It does get hot there, but it’s a dry heat!) I even started my own seeds just for the fun of it. This is our seventh summer in Tennessee and I’ve completely given up on gardening except for couple of pots of flowers by the front door. I just can’t deal with the sauna that takes over by 8 o’clock in the morning! There’s a point at which the decency laws kick in when shedding clothes to cool off.

I’m really not complaining, but I do miss the process of planning and making it happen! Such is life:) We do have some beautiful perennials that require little care and that’s good enough for me. 

So, to celebrate the start of summer in the cool indoors, I designed a watermelon project for an Etsy team challenge. Maybe my flower gardens will have to come to life in fabric, too.

Watermelon table runner

table runner watermelon4table runner watermelon5table runner watermelon

I’ve listed it in my Etsy shop:)

I’ll link up to Sew & Tell (see sidebar) at amylouwho’s and you can go there to see lots of other wonderful finishes for Friday.

wonky boxes quilting 2 I finished quilting Wonky Boxes ... and then I ripped all the quilting out. I hated it! I made diagonal lines an inch apart and it looked like a old mattress pad or something. On top of that, when I started taking stitches out, I noticed a problem with the stitching. After doing some troubleshooting, I realized the feed dogs were down. Sometimes, happiness is a really good seam ripper:)

One more quick thing! This is a Wizard of Oz quilt from the Oz museum in Wamego, Kansas. Amber and I are Oz fans, so she planned a stop there during our vacation. Not a great picture, but an awesome quilt! Some of the clothing on the characters is 3-D.  I had no idea there is so much Oz memorabilia! 

OZ quilt 2

Gotta go! Chuck is scared of the thunderstorm and needs some comforting:)

24 comments:

  1. I think your watermelon table runner looks delicious! And I have to admit, that Wizard of Oz quilt is pretty awesome too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy can I relate to your heat problems! It's been ridiculous this month, hasn't it? Your watermelon runner is too cute - it looks so refreshing ad cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you - not a fan of the humidity. I miss those dry summers in Colorado and Las Vegas. We've had a lot of rain lately, so now the mosquitos are here - lovely.

    Love your watermelon table runner so much! Good for you for entering an Etsy challenge. I hope you win - you deserve to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love that watermelon table runner! Wow!

    I am not loving the heat and humidity, either. I think we had a ten minute break today. Hope y'all weathered this afternoon's storms okay. Nothing here in Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about this southern heat. I've been in the south for most of my life, and still haven't adjusted to it.

    Great watermelon project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen anything like the watermelon table runner, it's brilliant! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colors of your watermelon runner. I just returned from Kansas too, thought I didn't make it out to Wamego. Thanks for sharing! Happy Sewing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the watermelon wonkiness going on! just way too much fun! as a muchnkin in a local production waaaaay too many years ago, thanks for posting the OZ quilt!

    stay cool! putting ice in a bowl in front of a fan is a cool way to cool off! especially if a soda is cooling in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a very cute table runner! Especially the watermelon. Mmmmm..

    Ok I'm also a HUGE fane of Oz!!! I can't believe that quilt! It's simply amazing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great table runner! It really makes me want watermelon too. How'd you do those seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that watermelon table runner! It looks good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your watermelon runner is just adorable.

    I sympathize with your feeling of being locked indoors. I have the same problem due to allergies, and I miss gardening too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear you on the heat. We're in Texas, and while the corn, pumpkins, and squash love it, I do NOT. Your watermelon runner is so cute. I love the polkadot binding!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like it when it is superhot either, but it makes it especially tricky when the AC makes it very cold at work - have dress warmly, then burn even more outside.
    The watermelon runner is so cute! The wizard of oz quilt is amazing. The say cheese quilt project is such a great idea - I am thinking I should make one of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy oh boy you are not kidding about the heat. We kid about being outside at 6 am before it gets too hot. It makes a difference with dry heat (how I was raised too) and humidity!
    Your table runner is absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terrific watermelon runner! Definitely says
    "summer"!

    I now always just quilt a little part and then let it sit so I can decide if that's really the way I want to go...makes for a bit less ripping. I'm always surprised that what I thought would look so good (and looked so good in my head) just doesn't do it for me on the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Watermellon runner is adorable! Having just gone thorugh ripping out issues of my own I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is beautiful! and I totally agree that staying inside and sewing is a much better use of your time. That's what I am doing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The watermelon runner is perfect for summer! That Oz quilt is wonderful. I know others who would love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh! The watermelon quilt is great! I'm sorry that you're having a hard time adjusting to southern heat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful watermelon runner! I am going to make an orange and pink quilt one day. I love that color combo. I agree about the heat. I live in Vegas and I enjoy the morning temps of 90F! I do not look forward to going to the Northeast this summer with all that humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the watermelon table runner. I also don't do well in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The watermelon runner looks so refreshing! Hey, I have lived in TN my entire life, 50 yrs! and I have yet to get used to this brutal heat and humidity! I am an indoor girl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your watermelon table runner. It does look like summer ;-) Good luck with the challenge. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of humidity either...kind of stinks since I live in Florida ... lots of humidity ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!