Pages

Monday, June 07, 2010

Home again…

We spent the last 16 days on the road! About 2 months before we left, we installed a Windoor for Sweet Pea/Helen, the half-wild independent cat. We couldn’t take her and wanted to make sure she had access to familiar surroundings. Our very sweet neighbor, Jeni, came and checked on her, too.

There she goes! She has it figured out, so we can rest a little easier about leaving her.Helen Windoor

So we loaded up the fifth wheel and hit the road.camper

The first two nights were spent in Wal-Mart parking lots.

IMG_9150

Maggie got sick and we made an emergency vet stop in St. Joseph, MO.

image

She needed an anti-vomiting shot and since she wasn’t dehydrated, we went on our way. She was much better the next day:)

Sally, the 21 year old cat rode in the camper and thought she was the queen. It did get too hot on the way home so she was downgraded to the pickup cab with us peasants.

 image

Destination Black Hills! My in-laws live about 12 miles from this spot and we spent the next 6 days there. This is the sign on the west end of Rapid City.

IMG_9203

This area was our home for many years and I miss it!

image

The graduate! She’s the last of the nieces and nephews to graduate from high school and we’re very proud of her. She has autism but is high-functioning. She did very well in school and is planning to go to college. Several of Mr. Dotty’s relatives attended this event!

image

I saw my two best friends in the world! They’re the friends that you can pick up with no matter how long it’s been. Mr. Dotty saw some old rock’n’roll buddies and they rehashed some band tales and jammed a little. Amber got in on that session.

All the pictures of the next few days are on Amber’s computer which is at the Geek Squad due to a dead battery. If the pictures are still intact when she gets it back, I’ll share.

On day # 7 we traveled south and stayed at Ft. Robinson near Crawford, NE where we visited more family. Then south to the farm where I grew up! My mom and dad have been gone for 10 and 12 years respectively. My oldest brother, Rod and his wife have lived on “the place” since his retirement and my youngest brother, Randy (who is 8 years older than me) is the farmer. He and his wife live in town where she teaches. We had a great visit with them and a niece and her husband. The clergy stole that Rod asked me to make for their pastor was also delivered and brought a few tears to the recipient. Of course I neglected to take a picture of the finished stole. Since it was Memorial Day, we decorated the graves of my parents, one brother and grandparents.

On to Denver to see Ashley, the C man and the Chihuahuas!  C is a fantastic cook and spoiled us with pizza on the grill and his famous ribs. The dogs are still as cute as ever and a little more calm then they were at our house. We stayed at Cherry Creek State Park.

Amber and C strolling through the Denver Zoo.

Am and C at the zoo 

Being the bird nerd that I am, I took about a million pictures of birds.

bird at zoo

flamingo

peacock

For some reason, I got a huge kick out of the camel. He looks like he’s cracking a joke.  

camel

The next day we toured the Coors brewery. I’d been there on my senior class trip in 1974 before I was old enough to partake of the samples.  The three in the forefront of the photo are mine. C had to study, so he missed out on the free beer. He’s attending the U of Colorado in Denver.

Coors

Coors 2

It was an audio tour so you listened to the recordings as you went along.

Coors 3

Samples! They gave you three of these if you wanted them. I didn’t make it that far!

Coors samples 

Since we were close, we drove up the side of a mountain to Buffalo Bill’s grave. In retrospect, this should probably be done before the Coors stop.

Buffalo Bill's grave

Beautiful view looking over the city.

Denver

We left the next morning. It was sad to leave Ash and C and the crisp, dry air of Colorado, but it’s good to know they are doing well and love it there.  We stayed at Tuttle Creek Cove campground near Manhattan, KS that night and Wayne Fitzgerrell State Park near Marion, IL for our last night on the road. Both were beautiful places to stay and I highly recommend them.

Wouldn’t you know it? The way back to TN goes right through Paducah, KY. I did some damage at the Hancock’s bargain bin:) I haven’t even had the energy to take complete inventory of my new stash yet. There’s some Kaffe and Laura Gunn in there!

HancocksHancocks 2

Thanks for making it through this long post. Now I need to finish mowing the very tall grass!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun trip through the black hills. I take exit 57 to work every day, so I know it well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has got to be the ugliest camel I've ever seen! And it sounds like I need to make a road trip to Paducah - neat fabric!! Glad you made it home safe......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you're back! Looks like a wonderful, wonderful trip. I can't believe you guys were gone for 16 days! I love seeing the pets travel in first class. How did Sweet Pea react to your homecoming? Poor Maggie too, getting "car sick." I love hearing about your reunions with your BFFs and your family and your daughters. Makes me miss Denver and my pals on the Western Slope. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! we got into Manchester late this afternoon... I'll do shopping tomorrow before everyone goes amok with Bonnaroo. Then I'll sit out in the font yard with my book and chair and people watch. According to the kids we don't get much traffic, but I'm sure I'll see something...

    You got some of the same stuff in the bargain bin at Hanckock's that I got coming up...just before memorial day. Isn't it great? Current stuff just real cheap. I'm all over that...lol

    I skipped it today. Lemme know when you want a refill and I'll go up with ya...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to the graduate. Sounds like you had a great trip. Love that you got to get new fabric. Wee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool are you? I am so glad you stopped by my www.potholesandpantyhose.com to see my Vintage Apron Skirt, and after googling you-I found you. And then, I realized that not only do we have sewing in common, but we also enjoy traveling and cats! My musician Hubby and I tour quite a lot and I blog about that. Here's a link to that:
    http://www.potholesandpantyhose.com/A/Touring.html
    And I also love to highlight the weird things my cat does here:
    http://www.potholesandpantyhose.com/A/My_Weird_Cat.html
    Hope you come back!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!