Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

Say Cheese!

When V at Bumble Beans came up with a challenge to make a portrait quilt I was intrigued with the idea. Say Cheese I had a few reservations about my ability to accomplish this, but what’s the worst thing that could happen? So I chose a picture with a cheesy grin, enlarged it and printed it. I did play with a few effects in a photo editing program, but came back to the original.

me (2)

I covered it with freezer paper and traced the basics. Looks a little freaky with no eyes!

portait sketch

I didn’t want to get too overwhelmed with decisions, so I pulled some dotted fabrics and this is what I have so far. No worries about shadows and light. I just wanted to go through the process, come up with something that looked like a person and it does. But, does it look like me?  A little helmet-headed, but it’s a start!

portrait

You can see the progress of some very talented contributors at Say Cheese!. There’s always room for more if you want to join!

3 comments:

  1. I dropped my jaw, you have quite the artist eye. Perfect use of fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this turned out really cool! I love it, especially with all polka dot fabrics. So fun seeing your picture transformed into a quilt. I wish I had the nerve to try this - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool technique! I look forward to seeing your finished "portrait"!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!