Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

A finish, a design wall and a bluebird

My whirligig quilt is finished! whirligig quiltWay back when, I asked for some suggestions on borders and binding for this top and you didn’t let me down! Thanks for the guidance, my bloggity friends:) 

whirligig quilt 3 Quilted in straight lines one inch apart, with the border quilting going around the perimeter with 1/2 inch spacing.

whirligig quilt 4 whirligig quilt 5 Fabrics used for this are Zippity DooDah by Sandy Gervais, Glace Damask Holly Red by 3 Sisters for Moda, Simple Abundance Paisley Picnic Red, Stripe Picnic Red and Retro Dot Picnic Red by Bonnie and Camille for Moda. I used a unbleached muslin for the light color.

Please hop over to amylouwho’s for Sew & Tell Fridays! Lots of great finishes over there and Amy’s the bestest:)

Our house is a story and a half design which means the outside walls on the second floor are only 4 feet tall. Since my sewing space is up there, I had no full size wall for designing. I used some PVC pipe and flannel to make a temporary wall that leans up against the sloping ceiling. It’s about 64 inches square. I didn’t glue it so I can take it apart as needed. Works for me!design wall

design wall corner

I really love bluebirds!

bluebird on box3a

23 comments:

  1. I love your bluebird photo so much, I just made it my background on my computer at work! Your whirligig quilt turned out so fabulous! I especially love the quilting and that paisley outer border. What a wonderful finish!!! I really need a design wall, and think I can enroll my hubby to help make your portable version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors! I also like how the back of the quilt has a design too. I might have to convince my dad to make me a design wall, my apartment is just too small. Oh and the blue bird is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty quilt! Great finish!!!
    Blessings,

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great whirlygigs in the reds and whites. I really like how you pieced the backing. Thanks for the blue bird picture and your portable design wall tip! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very clever design wall design!

    The quilt is just superb! I love the colors, the quilting, the front and the back are just spectacular!

    Thanks for the picture of the bluebird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the whirlygigs. Red and white always seem so cheery to me! It make me think of summer picnics, or peppermint candy, or Valentines- all happy things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a great job! This is gorgeous. The back is just as stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me want a red & white quilt. Good job on this-- it came together for a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT red and white quilt ... just might have to add that to my "list."

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Vicki, I really LOVE that quilt... it is so cute!! It makes me smile when I look at it, must be the whirlygig things...

    I've really been enjoying the birds down at the kids' farm... they have a lot of bluebirds and all sorts of cuties...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love red and white quilts - this one is so so so cute! The stripes on the binding really set off both sides nicely. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww, i cannot wait for the bluebirds to arrive around these parts. your quilt is beautiful, i like the red paisley in the border. oh, and yes, we are big cat people...it warms my hear to hear that one of yours is 21!

    ReplyDelete
  13. we are so thrilled that we have bluebirds back to nest again this year!!! i love this quilt. the colors and quilting are lovely. awesome finish

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful bird. The blue color of it's wings are perfect.
    Love how your quilt came out. The 1" quilted lines really makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilt and i love the back! Great idea for a design wall too! Think there might be some pvc piping in my near future!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a dynamite quilt! It is divine. Love all the reds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous quilt! I love the whirlygigs and the colors and the way you quilted it! I'm a big fan of straight line quilting. What a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a fabulous quilt!I love the back and the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful quilt - well done!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pic of the bluebird. And your quilt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful quilt. Beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a fabulous quilt! Yet another quilt to add to my list of "to-makes"!! I just love the color, and the back is to die for!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!