Pages

Friday, February 05, 2010

A tiny finish and a growing whirligig top

Added: The tutorial link for the whirligig blocks from Allison Anderson’s blog!

I made a couple of little things for a swap. The hot pad started out as a wall hanging, but I wasn’t happy with it (the story of my life it seems) so it kept getting smaller until it became what you see here. The little hearts are brooches with vintage buttons for an accent.000_0081If you looked at the picture very closely you noticed that the quilting is not symmetrical. I didn’t see it until I looked at the picture. So it’s fixed and has arrived at it’s destination. I hope the recipient likes it:)  I’m adding this to Amy’s Sew and Tell Friday’s so flit on over there and check out what everybody’s made this week. It’s great fun!

I used the tutorial from Tallgrass Prairie Studio for the pattern. Thanks Jacquie!

So far my whirligig top measures 45” by 30” and I need to decide on a border so it’s big enough for a lap quilt. I don’t know why I get so stuck on things like this. Lack of experience, maybe. Any good ideas out there in blog land?

whirli top

Fabrics used for this are Zippity DooDah by Sandy Gervais, Glace Damask Holly Red by 3 Sisters for Moda, Simple Abundance Paisley Picnic Red, Stripe Picnic Red and Retro Dot Picnic Red by Bonnie and Camille for Moda. I used a good unbleached muslin for the cream color because that’s what I had in the pile!

 

 

Helen Sometimes we call her Helen. She’s everywhere and watching…

24 comments:

  1. would go for a double border to make the quilt bigger and to frame it as well...love the whirlygigs. that little quilted heart is really cute. great finishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute potholder! Your whirlygigs look great. I am terrible at border ideas, but I like Leslie's idea of a double border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the whirligigs! I'm thinking i'd like to try them soon! thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute heart potholder! :o) Love your little looky lou cat eyes! :o)
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pillte pins! Those are so cute. The whirlygig are darling. I think a border of any of those prints would be great. I like nice thick single borders, 6 to 8 inches, maybe with a 2.5 inch of the cream color in the inside?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, my typing stinks! That is supposed to say 'little' :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hearts are so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow...gorgeous heart...

    visiting you from sew & tell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the heart! It took me a while to see the asymmetry :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're all so pretty. I adore the little brooches. Red is my new fav too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, that kitty is just too cute! I love her! Your little mini quilt turned hot pad is gorgeous. I love reading about how that project evolved. Cool idea to make those brooches too. For your whirligig, I think a red border would really frame those blocks and make them pop even more. Great job with that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I just made that heart for a swap, too, and I'm starting a whirlygig quilt--we must live in parallel universes! I love the heart--and I don't mind asymmetrical quilting. The pins are sweet--your partner will love opening that package. For the whirlygigs, I might just use a muslin border with a thin strip of red in there somewhere. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the potholder and the whirlygigs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the hearts!! the brooches are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Hot pad, perfect for Valentines Day and the whirly gigs are great! I've been to intimidated to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your hot pad has turned out perfect from what I see and those brooches are too cute. Love that whirly gig pattern. I agree with the others that a double border would look good perhaps in a plain red or one of the patterned fabrics used in the quilt if you have enough. Hope this is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your heart hotplate mat! Red and hearts together are just a beautiful combination, especially in Feb.

    As for your quilt, not sure about the border but I'd use the stripe for the binding. Love stripy bindings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The hot pad is great. I love your quilt. I have a soft spot for whirlygigs and combined with your colour combo its a winner. I have a red and white quilt. In the centre were pieced blocks and I just added a lovely big red floral print for the border. It worked really well for my quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE it!! Yay!! Thank you so much for getting my Valentine's goodies to me - I absolutely adore the heart...it's PERFECT for a trivet and pot holder...not to mention it looks oh so cute displayed in my kitchen!! I'm your newest follower!! Thanks again - and Happy Valentine's Day!

    Blessings,

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the Whirlies, such a fun pattern, and I really like your fabric choices. I think I'd do a double border as well (don't remember who else mentioned it) A darker red for the inner and then maybe that fabulous stripe (the one that is on the bottom right whirly) for a larger outer. I am not really good at this kind of thing, but I love stripes in borders!

    ReplyDelete
  21. cute! I love whirlygigs too - I keep thinking I need to make one...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your hearts. So great. Your whirlygigs are looking good too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely red and white work! -- michele

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!