Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Oldies but goodies…

I love getting out the ornament box and going through it. I don’t use all of them or the same ones all the time, but these are some that go on the tree every year. All of these ornaments are at least 25 years old and are handmade. 

Many of us have one of these. This one was given to us by Mr. D’s sister.

100_1615

I can’t recall where I got this little starched crochet thread ornament but I l love it!

string

This braided wheat ornament was made by a relative in Nebraska. I grew up in a wheat farming community (my brothers still farm on the “home place”) so this one has a special meaning.

braided wheat

This cute little ceramic elf was part of a trio made by my mom, Dorothy. Most of her creations were signed and dated but this one isn’t.

ceramic elf 

When mom passed away (9 years ago), the kids sorted through lots of items including the Christmas decorations. There were a lot because Dorth loved Christmas! This is my favorite of all. It’s a tree topper and some of it is missing, but it was on our tree from the time I can remember. I’m pretty sure it is a 1950’s era ornament.tree topper 

With the remodeling project having everything in a mess, there’s no room for knick knacks! Except for the tree, this is the only other decoration I pulled out this year. It’s the second thing I ever pieced. Little bitty log cabin blocks! It measures about 15 x 12 inches.

log cabin

This was the first thing I ever pieced back in the early 1990’s. I followed along with Eleanor Burns on PBS and made this diamond log cabin tree skirt. I was very proud of it, but now, almost 20 years later, I look at it differently. Since I’ve gotten interested in quilting I realize that it needs some fixing!

tree skirt 2 There’s no quilting except for some “in the ditch” around the red diamonds. Not acceptable!

tree skirt 3

So that’s the project for this afternoon:)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful ornaments! I especially love that braided wheat ornament. Sounds like you have a fun project planned for the afternoon. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!