Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Following a tradition…candy making!

One of the best parts of the Christmas season when I was growing up was the homemade candy. My mom, Dorothy, was famous in our rural community for her wonderful candy. She would start early in December and make batches of goodies and store them in coffee cans in the big chest freezer. She worked while we were at school or otherwise occupied so I never really got in on the process but certainly reaped the benefits! I don’t make everything she did, but I’ve chosen a few favorites over the years and make those. This year, Ashley and I spent an entire day making goodies! Here she is breaking up the peppermint bark which was a new addition to the list. Amber, who was my partner in candy making goodness last year, caught her off guard with this picture!

Ashandcandy

(The decor may look a little strange as we are remodeling. No kitchen cabinets or countertops to speak of!)

Me forming coconut bonbons.

100_1485

A sampler plate. I’d have put everything on a more festive plate if I could find one. Remodeling makes you store things in totes.

100_1551 Starting at 12:00 and traveling clockwise:

Rocky Road Bars

Napoleon Cremes

Peppermint Bark

Seven Layer Bars

Two Tone Fudge

and in the center is

Choco Cherry Log

We also made Rum Balls and this is what was left by the time I had a chance to snap a picture! These little guys pack a punch:)

100_1548

Here are some finished bonbons and peanut butter balls. They’re not pretty but they taste good! Dipping is not my forte.

bonbons and pb balls

This is Cherry Mash fail! Since I got a different stove a couple of years ago, I can’t seem to get the temperature to the right point without scorching the mixture. So the cherry part didn’t set up. (This is the same reason I didn’t make peanut brittle this year.)

runny cherry mash

Since I hate to waste good chocolate, I separated the layers and cooked the cherry base in the microwave to the appropriate temperature and it set up just fine. I re-melted the top layer and spread it back on. It’s edible but not as good as it should be.

Dorothy also made caramels, chocolate covered cherries and a big selection of cookies including Pfeffernusse. Yum!

I think I’m done making food for this season. Maybe I’ll play with a honey bun or a turnover instead!

honeybunturnover

If you are interested in any of these recipes, just request it in a comment and I’ll be glad to post it. UPDATE! There's a link in the sidebar to a new blog I set up that I'll use for recipes and tutorials and things like that:)

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Just gained 2 pounds by reading this post;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! My daughter (okay, me too) would like the recipe for the Rocky Road Bars and the Seven Layer Bars. I hope they are easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family has a similar tradition we call Cookie Day where all the aunts, uncles and cousins get together to bake Christmas cookies. Such a fun party! We even make some recipes similar to yours! I have always wanted to try peppermint bark. Does it taste anything like a York peppermint patty or an Andes mint? Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!