Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

Stippling fright and an almost finished quilt

I hope to get the binding on this quilt today and send it off soon to it’s new home. I used a Tula Pink Hushabye jellyroll plus some yardage. As a newbie, I wanted to keep it simple so decided on a rail fence pattern. I could have sewn the long strips together for this but that wouldn’t have given me the randomness I wanted, so I cut the strips to length (6 1/4”) and then put them together.

baby quilt 11

I was scared to death to do the stippling, but after much practice and coffee I dove in! It’s not perfect by any means but I’m mostly satisfied with it. There are a few spots that may get a do-over by hand where the stitches got too big. If you click on the last picture you can see the stippling a little better. I'm not quite brave enough to share a real close-up:)

(I’m keeping a “Things I learned about free motion quilting from my first quilt” list and may have to share it later.)

If you look closely you can see the ducks in the print. Aren’t they cute?

baby quilt 9a

I wanted to add a personalized detail to the back and used the embroidery feature on my Brother for this. It’s blurred out on this picture since it is still a secret, but it’s the owner-to-be’s name with a little decorative stitching.

baby quilt 8

I think I’ve overcome my fear of stippling and it feels good!

7 comments:

  1. what a lovely pink quilt...two of my favourite things...pink & quilts! my mom is a quilter and there is nothing better than wrapping up in a quilt she made with love for me....it's like a hug from mom! i love the stippling look, but thus far have only hand quilted....this inspires me and i may give it a go!
    pretty in pink indeed!
    happy day to you!
    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for overcoming your stippling fright! I can relate to that. I have two quilt tops that need to be machine quilted, and I won't let myself start another quilt until they are done. I am going to force myself to work on them this weekend. Your Hushabye quilt looks gorgeous; love the backing too, which is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you did a great job. When you said look at the ducks, I thought your free motion quilting had made the "duck". My sweetie told me to get away from the machine when I told him I was making ducks in my stippling as he couldn't see them.
    Dumb guy...I could.
    A really special quilt, those first ones are. So much love put into them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is pretty, and your stitching looks fine to me. Congrats on your first quilting project. I have broken more needles doing stippling than I care to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful...front & back...really great job! and i would love to see your list on what you learned from stippling (yikes) still working on that skill :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful fabric combination!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!