Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Quilting Baby Steps

A while ago I talked about learning to quilt. Since that time I’ve found a lot of tutorials for quilt blocks (a wonderful way to learn) and found so many possibilities for beginners. For some reason, I am attracted to the “Wonky” blocks. I’m not sure what that says about me on an emotional level, but why go there? Anyway, here’s a sampling of my first blocks.
The top two blocks are from the Wonky September Quilt-along at Quilt Dad which somehow got started at Old Red Barn Co. Something about demanding and screaming and begging. (Oh,my.) Both of these blogs are terrific for newbies like me, so thank you!
The Wonky Square in Square. I was so excited to try this I just threw it together. Not a well thought out plan but good practice anyway.
wonkysquare
I think this might be my favorite! The Wonky Quarter Log Cabin. Again, I just pulled fabrics from the stash and went for it. It really is more squared up than it looks.
wonkyquarter2
All of the Wonky Stars were made from this tutorial at The Silly BooDilly Blog.
wonkystar
The Red, White and Blue Stars are going to this project over at Crazy Mom Quilts.
wonkystar3
This one got a little too wonky I think.
wonkystar5
The zigzag block is from this tutorial at Bee Square Blog.
zigzag
And this little guy was finished into a coaster (yucky pic…sorry). Another Wonky Quarter Log Cabin.
wonkycoaster
Not a bad start. Baby steps are good.
Many thanks to all those experienced quilters for sharing their skills! 

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Wonky quilting before, but these look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these blocks are fabulous! You are off to a super start. I have been wanting to try those wonky star blocks. Love the contrasts you gave yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that brown chocolatey square...
    :):):) Nice job and so good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, can't imagine why you'd say that! I was squeezing that out of my last little bits. Thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to your comments, so if you are an 'Anonymous' commenter, please include a way for me to get in touch!